Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Popcorn Balls


I needed to bring a salty snack to Anna-Kate's Valentine's party at school. I tried so hard to think of something fun and new to make that was salty... that a bunch of 3 and 4 year olds would eat. I was stumped but a couple of friends suggested popcorn balls. I know these weren't salty really, but I thought it would be fun to try! 

I found Paula Deen's recipe and decided to go with hers! 

Here's what you need:
2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup corn light syrup
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
18 cups popped corn


First, you combine the sugar, water, syrup, vinegar and salt. 


You cook it over high heat until the mixture reaches the hardball stage on a candy thermometer. We do not own a candy thermometer, so I just got a cup of cold water and kept dropping a bit of the mixture in the water until it formed a hard ball. 


Anna-Kate and I played while Derek waited on the sugar water to get done! :)

Next you stir in the vanilla and pour it over the popcorn. Most of the comments I read said to let the mixture cool for a few minutes before pouring it over the popcorn, so that's what we did. 


Then you just form it into balls- be careful not to burn yourself. You have to work fast because it will harden quick! I made it into smaller balls so the other moms wouldn't be too mad at me for the sugary treat. ha! 


I guess this is where I have to admit that I have never actually eaten a popcorn ball... so I had no idea what to expect! These were super sticky and sweet. Personally, I do not like things that stick to my teeth and feel like they could pull out a tooth but Derek and Anna-Kate loved them. The kids that tried them liked them too! 

1 comment:

Mrs. Kee said...

Hey! I took your comment into account when making the PW enchiladas and went to Harps. We found a great Mild enchilada sauce that worked perfectly. James can't get enough of those enchiladas! So next time you make them, definitely try a different sauce, I think it will make a difference in the heat. And thanks for the tip!